Date: August 29, 2021
President Randy Kling Present
Vice-President Kody Orbzut Present
Treasurer Craig Woodhouse Absent
Rec Sec open Absent
Mem Sec Tim Sittaro Absent
DNR John Darling Present
CWAC Ken Martin Present
Merch coordinator Sharon Shippell Absent
Past Meeting minutes read and approved
Treasurers Report: Read by Randy Kling The club is in good financial shape, only one expenditure since last meeting. Read and accepted
Membership Secretary Report: Read by Tim Sittaro – Absent
C.W.A.C. Report: Read by Ken Martin – CWAC meeting only in January now. Discussion of first two weekends for hunting, needing to apply for the hunts. Many members objected, concerned it would turn into every weekend. Told to email the commissioners at the NRC to voice their opinion. Addresses can be found on the DNR website. We will post a website also.
D.N.R. Report: Read by John Darling – Hiring a new biologist to replace Terry who was promoted. Inside building closed until October 4th, due to covid. Updates pending. Will have an outside draw, seven days a week, twice a day. Team leader picks the zone. Only change is now all names must be on the card, we will leave top copy with DNR before draw. This will help eliminate cheating. They will do bag checks this year. Corn fields average, buckwheat not as tall due to late planting. No hunting in 12, too much damage from geese. Banding done primarily by DNR, no volunteers due to Covid. More mallards than normal, possibly due to drought out west. Michigan had excellent spring conditions for nesting.
Marshes are down approximately 8 inches from last year. Lot of wild rice is growing in the marsh. DU continues to work with DNR about a new pump, paperwork getting completed. Audubon donated 50,000 for cattail control in the marsh to create open holes. Job is out for bid. Possibly done before the season, if not next spring.
Needs; Wind gage broken, needs replacing, fixed multiple times. Also a new fertilizer wagon is needed. John will have prices at next meeting.
DNR open house will be October 6th, 6 pm
Old Business: Parking lot update, Wildlife division now doing west parking lot, gravel has been added and will be regraded before season.
Goose Fence: positive results, need to get up earlier in season. Need to look at different wiring, plastic ripped and wore out too soon. Deer broke fences in many spots.
New Business: PM employee- DNR to pay employees until 4 pm. Wanted to know if the club would pick up the cost to keep employees until the end of the day's hunt. St Clair Waterfowler’s said they would pay 3,000 to help out. Vote taken after much discussion. Unanimous No vote was received. Club will not pay for employees.
Turn in Box in each parking lot, John not liking this, boxes damaged in the past. Only a short trip to turn into the shack.
Amend bylaws to limit officers approving monies to DNR without member approval. Will have exact wording and amount at next meeting.
The American flag is in the shack.
Meeting adjourned at 11:25 Tour of Refuge after meeting
Next meeting January 23, 2021